The triangular square, which is located in the Kröpeliner Straße, takes its current name from the main building (around 1870) of the university. It was founded as early as 1419. Here you will also find the Fünfgiebelhaus (five-gabled house) (1986), the Brunnen der Lebensfreude (fountain of joy) (1980), the Blücher Monument (1819), the Baroque Hall (1750) and the former Grand Ducal Palace.
The five-gabled house was completed in 1986. It shows that it is possible to harmoniously integrate new buildings into existing structures even with large slabs. The carillon on the building is particularly worth seeing and hearing. It chimes every Saturday at 12 pm.
The Fountain of Joy is a popular playground for young and old. It was created in 1980 by the artists Jo Jastram and Reinhard Dietrich. It consists of 20 figures and 18 large and small water fountains.
The Blücher Monument is also located on the square. It commemorates the Prussian Field Marshal Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, who was born in Rostock in 1742. Blücher had made a name for himself during the wars of liberation against Napoleon. He is considered as a hero and became Rostock’s first honorary citizen. The monument itself was built by the Berlin sculptor Johann Gottfried Schadow in 1819. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe also dedicated a verse in his honour.
The baroque hall (built around 1750) in the former grand ducal palace recalls the stays of the dukes of Mecklenburg in the Hanseatic city.
YouTube video: City centre of Rostock
Photos: Joachim Kloock, Taurus Werbeagentur, TMV/Tiemann