The Abby of the Holy Cross is a completely preserved complex from the 13th and 14th centuries. The former Cistercian nunnery was founded in 1270 by the Danish Queen Margaret. The abby was named after a splinter from the cross of Jesus Christ.
Today it is the seat of the Cultural History Museum Rostock, which has an extensive collection of art and cultural history and is one of the most important museums for documenting civil cultural history in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
The abby complex includes the church (today the university church), cloister and refectory. From 1740 small residential buildings were built in the monastery courtyard for the inmates of the monastery. Today these buildings are used for various purposes, e.g. the Kempowski Archive or Café Kloster.
Photos: Joachim Kloock, Kempowski Archive Rostock, KHM Rostock/Brigitte Reichel, TZRW