The city protected itself against the harbour with its city wall and beach gates. These beach gates were connected to the ships’ mooring bridges, the so-called “Kopmannsbrücken”.
The Monks’ Gate is the last existing beach gate and was built in the 16th century in the Gothic style. It was rebuilt in 1806 in the Classicist style according to plans by the Rostock university professor Schadelock.
Photos: Joachim Kloock