The New Market (Neuer Markt) is the market of the former middle town. It is located at the eastern end of the pedestrian zone in the immediate vicinity of St. Mary’s Church. The town hall, numerous gabled houses and the seagull fountain with its Greek gods are located on the Neuer Markt.
Rostock’s town hall (1270) with its seven towers bears witness to the eventful history of the old Hanseatic city of Rostock like no other secular building. A mighty Gothic façade and red brick buildings, ornamental Renaissance forms, Baroque porticos and functional office buildings stand side by side in the complex that was built over several centuries and form a visible expression of the city’s community. The town hall has changed several times and was adapted to new requirements, but it has always remained the seat of the council and mayor, a place of consultation and assembly for the citizens and above all: the centre of the town.
YouTube video: Historical Rostock
Photos: Fotoagentur Nordlicht, Joachim Kloock, Sascha Schwarzer, TMV/Gänsicke, Tom Pagel, TZRW